Statue of Archduke Charles (1771-1847) on the Heldenplatz. Charles, duke of Teschen, son of emperor Leopold II, was one of Austria's ablest military leaders during the wars with revolutionary and Napoleonic France. The equestrian statue created by Anton Dominik Fernkorn and inaugurated in 1860, shows the field-marshal in his most glorious moment, leading his troops, banner in hand, at the victorious battle of Aspern-Essling (21–22 May 1809) against the French. Charles was eventually defeated by Napoleon at the battle of Wagram (July 5–6, 1809) and retired from active duty. More about the monument.