The Bolshoi Theatre
The main auditorium of the Bolshoi Theatre in Moscow.
One of the most famous historic stages in the world, the Bolshoi Theatre was built in 1856 by the Italian architect Alberto Cavos. It is home to the Bolshoi ballet and opera companies.
A recent six-year long (and estimated 500 million euros) overhaul restored the theatre to its 19th century appearance, removing all Soviet-era additions and changes.
Some 3,500 architects, historians, art experts, conservators, engineers, riggers, among others, have been striving to replicate the historical structure up to the tiniest detail. The acoustics in the main auditorium, which were destroyed by repair work in the Soviet era, have been brought back to the standards of Cavos's original design. The capacity of the auditorium is 1.740 seats. The renovated theatre reopened in November 2011.